Sustainable and healthy toothpaste made by you
Think about how many toothpaste tubes you've thrown away in your life. We'll show you how you can easily make your own toothpaste.
Today we would like to share a recipe with you on how to make your own toothpaste. But what do we need in our paste to care for & protect our teeth?
With every food & drink, impurities enter our mouth & thus our teeth. Digestion then begins immediately in the mouth & tiny, often invisible residues remain in the mouth. This includes, for example, food residues or bacteria.
What you need:
- 2 tblsp. Coconut oil
- 1 tblsp. Baking soda
- 1tblsp. xylitol (birch sugar)
- 1 drop organic essential oil, that can be ingested* (e.g. orange oil, peppermint, lavender) or a pinch of Cinnamon
- Mixing glass
- Stirring rod
- Hot water
- Collecting vessel
*You should always be aware of not using scented oils, only organic oils that can be ingested!
This is how it works
- The basis of the toothpaste is coconut oil. Coconut oil has an antibacterial effect and therefore prevents tooth decay. It also improves oral hygiene and has a whitening effect on your teeth. Take about 2 tablespoons and warm the coconut oil a little so that it can be mixed better with the other ingredients.
- Next, add the baking soda. The small grains in the baking soda remove impurities and plaque from your teeth, making them whiter. It also regulates the pH level in your mouth, which helps prevent tooth decay.
- The last miracle ingredient is birch sugar. Birch sugar has been shown to reduce plaque and also prevent tooth decay.
- To give your toothpaste a pleasant taste and freshness, you can add your favourite oil. Make sure that the oil can also be ingested and that it is not for skin care only. We used lavender oil here.
- Now mix everything well together and pour into a small container. That's it!
- Calculate a shelf life of approx. 2 weeks, better prepare small amounts than one big one.
Here are three book recommendations if you are interested in creating also other homemade products for your skin, health and home. Click on the images and you'll get the link to the book*: